Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Oedipus Complex


Just an innocuous spray bottle of water on my bedside table – a symbol of the semi-symbiotic relationship between Oedipus and myself----Same ritual every night--- she claws madly at the edge of the mattress, (just out of arm’s reach) tearing at the fibres, announcing her arrival---
Too far away to swat, I wake up fit to be tied, reach for the trigger, already aimed at the mutilated section of mattress, and let loose an angry stream of lukewarm water—she tears out of the room , four feet scrambling to gain a toehold against the smooth laminate wood floor,,,,, then meekly turns around, pounces on the bed by my face and mews gently as if we had not just been engaged in mortal combat!! I play along with this charade by patting her lovingly, then assured of my wakefulness, she picks at the sheets until they are just right for sleeping—again, just slightly out of my reach! This happens at least four or five times each night.. Frank says we should just close the bedroom door------BUT----
I don’t want to hurt her feelings, she is super sensitive, and I am honoured to be her chosen significant human, thankful for whatever tidbits of affection she throws my way!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kay said...

Susan, did I just miss your photo in your profile before? I really like it. You have a very kind and loving face. I loved seeing it when I saw it on my comment page. Your story about Oedipus is hilarious! What a cat!

May 21, 2008 12:10 AM  
Blogger H said...

Awww. What a cat!

I love that you've called her Oedipus. Ha. perhaps it's just my imagination, but all of it just came together - the pic, the post...

:-)

hugs.

May 21, 2008 8:39 AM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

Closing the door would not work..unless you can sleep whilst a cat is scratching at your door and meowing her head off! Cats abhor closed doors..it is an insult to them. Even when I have company, and they sleep in the room right across from me, I have to leave my bedroom door open..I just can't stand the crying..and neither could my guests. No-one would sleep at all.

May 23, 2008 2:14 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 25, 2008 1:52 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

Hello Musings: I did change my profile picture recently--Thank you for your kind words-- I was looking at my husband(a rare moment of affection :) )
Hugs back to you H: When I call her in, I merely say"Oedipus pus pus pus pus!"
Tuffysmom;You're right-- we'd have a damaged bedroom door!

May 25, 2008 1:52 PM

May 25, 2008 2:13 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

Jeesh-- I had to delete my response comment, because I inadvertently typed "hell Musings" instead of "hello"--and I'm hoping I deleted it before she read it-- the dropped o kind of changes the whole tone!!! ;)

May 25, 2008 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home