Sunday, February 25, 2007

What's all the babble about??


Okay,, I've really tried hard to "get into" a movie frame of mind,, with all the Oscar buzz and hype---- Never been a fan of the big screen- but thought maybe in my "golden years" I could try --- so we paid our first visit to Yarmouth's new Empire Studio-- impressive--- to watch Pursuit of Happyness---- nice story, but .... too shallow, superficial----
then we tried "Hannibal Rising" to pass a quiet Sunday evening--- YEGADS-- AN ASSAULT ON ALL OUR SENSES!! BLOOD-GORE- LOUD-KILLING-BLOOD--
DID I MENTION BLOOD???
So we rented the much touted Babel---------
WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME??
BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR??? I hated it---although the concept had merit---- the ramifications and effects of a single gun shot felt throughout the world---- but again,,, I need to be touched on an emotional level to appreciate a movie-- whether it be through tears, laughter, awareness, rage, anger, understanding--I need to feel SOMETHING!!
I still think about Sophie's Choice and Schindler's List, and I watched Monster Ball twice!!!
But BABEL???
I couldn't get inside the head of any of the actors-- and what was with that Japanese girl showing her "unshaven" not so private parts??
(Unlike Brittany Spears, who delighted the world with her "clearcut" south to match her newly shaven north-- but that's a whole other post--- the times they are a changin/shavin ???? )
If Babel wins an Oscar tonight,,,, I'm through with Hollywood!!!!!
PS; if you check Bec's photalbum (on Mike's blog) for Feb, there's a picture of a garden which should be named the Hannibal Lecter Memorial garden!!!!

10 Comments:

Blogger mikki said...

I watched a movie called "Water" a couple times - once with sub-titles and once dubbed. It was really touching, maybe you would enjoy it... One link that will tell you a little more about it: Deepa Mehta's Water. Maybe it could wash away the after-effects of Hannibal!

February 25, 2007 1:40 PM  
Blogger mikki said...

Oops - I found another link that reviews the movie... check out this one too! Ok, I'll leave you in peace now :o)

February 25, 2007 1:44 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

Mikki--I watched an interview on Canada am this morning with Deepa Mehta and was intrigued---- funny you should mention it,, I was thinking how good it sounded,, and the rave reviews it's getting in Canada---
She remarked how her inspiration came from her homeland India,, but the freedom to express her creativity found fulfillment in her adopted home-- Canada-- hint to H--- we love freedom of expression and Indian movies are the IN thing in Canada---just a gentle hint--- I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Water wins an award----

LJLC: Red carptet?? Not in this lifetime!!!! Do i know the person?? Too much ado---- they were asking people on tv if they could remember who won awards last year,,, and very very few could even remember who hosted it... let alone who won---
Sorry to hear about M---- thank God she has you!! Don't forget I'm here if you just need to unload!!!

February 25, 2007 6:16 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Yet you love Big Brother...

February 25, 2007 7:41 PM  
Blogger H said...

Awww Nan, Deepa's very very big. Water's the last of her trilogy - her first was fire, then there was earth and now the last is water. It's sad that she couldn't complete it here... but I guess she's the one having the last laugh now! good for her.

But I've heard the most fantastic reviews on Babel. truly, it's been touted as one of the most unlikely and probably most deserving oscar nominees. Haven't yet seen it though. I'll certainly keep your perspective in mind now.

February 26, 2007 1:16 AM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

Lots of interesting comments here.
Going back a year..George Clooney won an Oscar for best actor in Syriana. So, since said movie was on the movie network, I watched it yesterday. I didn't understand a thing that was going on..and George Clooney was only in it for a total of about..oh 17 minutes!!!
Oh..about Hannibul Rising..I love that kind of movie..the more blood and gore the better. I was brought up that way..my Grandmother used to take me to horror movies.
Love them to this very day.
P.S. I read the book "The Notebook". It touched me so much that I was unable to watch the movie. I would have been unable to stop crying.
And hey Mikki...I thought you liked horror movies too.

February 26, 2007 6:43 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

So, bizarre reading the blog replies today... learning things you just DIDN'T expect...

Tuffys mom, I never thought of you as the horror film type!?!

February 27, 2007 12:33 AM  
Blogger mikki said...

Tuffysmom (aka My Mom) - I do like horror movies. They just don't seem to make very good ones anymore. All the gore and gross stuff doesn't scare me - it's just gross! I'd like to see something that would scare the pants off me, kind of like The Exorcist did when it first came out. Maybe I'm jaded, but I don't seem to scare so easily anymore. Although - remember Blair Witch? It didn't scare me while watching it, but later on I found myself wondering just what happened to those kids... delayed creep-reaction :o)

February 27, 2007 10:36 AM  
Blogger Funnyface said...

I really enjoy a good comedy,I just got done watching,American Pie Naked Mile.I laughed my butt off.
I don't watch the awards,I find them boring.This coming from a person, who can sit in front of a computer,for hours and play,dare I say it Bejeweled 2. :)

February 28, 2007 10:49 PM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

Well, I must admit, I'm more into serious suspense movies now!
Blood and gore is just for fun..but I think 'The Sixth Sense' was the best movie I have ever seen.
It baffled me, and usually I figure them out.
And Mikki had already seen it, and didn't tell me the ending....hehehehe.

March 01, 2007 1:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home