Saturday, November 04, 2006

It's in the Details !!

*disclaimer-- picture was taken from internet search, not actual student!


The good news is, there are only 19 students in the class!!!
(But fifteen are boys, no offense, but any teacher knows what that means as per dynamics)

Oh, and there are two adults in the class, teachers aides, to help.
(To help,,, yeah,,, we know that means there are serious serious problems in that class, and now 2 adults will be watching your every move all day!!! )

Oh, and one of the boys has Asperger Sydnrome.
(Which means they cannot adapt to change of routine,(substitute teacher) without a complete meltdown,)

And you'll have to wear this microphone- headset because there is a student with hearing impairments.

And the boy in the wheelchair needs to have all his written work magnified --- not only does he have spina bifoda, he is nearly blind!
Have a good day!

PS--- Lest this sound too cold and calculating, let me assure you that I have tremendous compassion for these children, who have to deal with their disabilities on a daily basis, and for the most part handle their challenges with courage and strength of spirit--- My heart goes out to them---- but on the other hand, I feel so unworthy and overwhelmed, with the feeling that they deserve better------and I cannot adequately express my admiration for these classroom teachers -- you have no idea!!!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how very challenging! Teachers are such an admirable lot...they should be paid more than movie stars (at least the really good ones).

November 04, 2006 5:49 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

LJLC: That was last weeks class-

November 04, 2006 7:37 PM  
Blogger Fireguy said...

Wow - some kids are not dealt a very good hand in life - must be a challenge.

November 04, 2006 8:10 PM  
Blogger Funnyface said...

This was truly a challenge, but I know,how great you are!!

Love Cheryl

November 04, 2006 11:12 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

That was definatley a challange - BUT I am sure that you did great , and that they all loved you

November 05, 2006 9:35 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Wow, that would be a scary class to enter as a substitute. It is a big enough challenge usually, with all of the behaviour problems, but with many special needs children as well, and the aides.... YIKES! I don't think I could have done it!

It's funny that you talked about the headset, we have every one of our classes equipped with those systems. I think it was a decision by the principal because such a high percentage of inuit children have hearing impairments. I heard at one time much of the trouble was because of untreated otitis when they were kids. But I had 4 severe impairments just in my homeroom class last year (4 out of 12) and this year, 2 in 11. It took a while to get used to wearing the microphone, I used to laugh and say, "hi kids I'm britney spears". But I know how much it helps so it is now just routine! I kind of prefer wearing it.

November 05, 2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Funnyface said...

Just noticed you added the Star's Road web.cam.

November 05, 2006 12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nan,

You definitely are NOT unworthy. Teachers are the unappreciated heroes of society. I stress on the "heroes."

=)

November 05, 2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger Camper Chick said...

Hello,

What a huge challenge. Like Fire Guy said some kids are not dealt a good hand in life, but it is the ones that have the disabilites that have the smile on there face and don't complain. It is the ones that don't realize how lucky they are that complain and have a frown on there face.

They really are angels,

lots of love
ashes

November 05, 2006 9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home