Wednesday, November 15, 2006

ESL and Stew


Nope, I'm not cooking stew today,, but I've been thinking about stew, ESL, and connect the dots!!
H's comment about the English language got me to thinking-- way back to the seventies, when I was first attracted to the teachings of Baha'u'llah and his vision of world peace---
it wasn't just an idealized vision for the unity of mankind, it was prophetic and practical---
the vision was not of a melting pot, where all peoples become the same, no, the principle was "unity in diversity", whereby differences between us are to be celebrated---
much the same way that the flavour of a stew is enhanced by the uniqueness of each ingredient--- the sum is more than the total of its parts--- and step by step , the barriers that divide us , are eliminated---
He predicted way back in 1863 that the world would adopt a "secondary" universal language in order to break through the communication barrier----- secondary in that we would retain our mother tongue, but everyone would learn a second language-- the idea being that once we could communicate effectively, we could use language to solve the differences that arise between us--
He predicted that either a new language would be developed, (Esperanto was an attempt) or the world would just naturally choose an existing language.
Back in the seventies, there was no discipline called ESL, now it is a full-fledged course of study in most universities--English Second Language----and I believe English is the official language of the airways---- Not that I think English has been divinely ordained, more likely we are so inept and incompetent at learning a second language!!! Just look at our miserable attempts to learn French!!

I digress, but what I am trying to say,,, thank God for the English language,, because it is the tool that has connected our hearts-----
H, Houseband, Lizza------ to name a few----

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely post, Nan. Language is a great thing. I'm glad we all have at least the English language in common. Like you said, it helps us achieve unity in spite of our diversity.

November 15, 2006 2:01 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Interesting post... I certainly notice up here in the arctic that English (at least in my town) has been the unifying language- even the french students tend to know a more English than the English students know French.

G.

November 15, 2006 10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicely said, Nan. =)

November 16, 2006 1:31 AM  
Blogger H said...

Dear Nan, this is SUCH a relevant post. Particularly with the way that you've connected it to blogging.

And I like the way you've put it -- that we bring a unique flavour to it, and that English really allows for a lot of languages to comfortably leave their imprint on it...

the ugly side of course is that it is a direct result of colonisation and that it has also contributed towards eliminating much complexity and richness in expression in other language among a lot of urban people [speaking particularly about my own experience]... [so much for being articulate haaah].

So I think with a lot of us who have a 'native' language [to put it in colonial terms, grin] it is a bit uncomfortable, because somewhere you're sensing a compensation/ loss of another identity that is subsumed in this larger global identity... However, before I start sounding depressingly bleak... let me clarify that I love that I am able to appreciate the best of what I have from both worlds.

November 16, 2006 7:05 AM  
Blogger H said...

sorry I forgot to complete the last bit of that sentence... what i meant is urban people living in countries in Asia and the Africas - countries that were once colonised by the British.

November 16, 2006 7:07 AM  
Blogger Gillian said...

PS I forgot to mention, it's funny that you have that delicious looking pot of stew on your post, since just yesterday I got the recipe to make my first caribou stew this weekend. MMMM! I'll think of you as I enjoy it!

November 16, 2006 10:25 AM  
Blogger NanNan said...

As I was writing about English language, ugly thoughts of British imperialism and colonisation did occur to me, and the brutal way the aboriginal people of north america were treated in the name of advancing civilization--- such travesties ----- lost cultures, knowledge, and connections to our Creator-- such arrogance-- so much lost--

November 16, 2006 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes but Nan, on the flipside. change is essential. And sometimes the agents of change are brutal, somtimes they're gentle.

But the good thing is... here and now, there's a lot of affection and joy in the way we're using English.

So cheers to that!

November 17, 2006 2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home