Friday, October 20, 2006

Shaddup!!


I know, I know, it's so rude I can't even bring myself to type it let alone say it ---But I was watching the Rachel Ray show the other day, ( another I know,,her voice is grating but I like to watch all the cooking tips that I will never use!! I cook vicariously) I nearly switched channels upon seeing that Jessica Simpson was her guest, but the lure of pretzel chicken reeled me in---Even thought to myself that perchance I may cook this someday- the someday that never comes!
Mom took delight in bragging about how well-behaved her children were (ususally when one of her grandchildren was misbehaving) and how she never had to move a knick knack out of their way--- She recalled quite frequently the episode in the car, long before seatbelts, when I, a toddler jumping in the backseat, said "Shut UP!" whereupon, without skipping a beat , her hand lunged back and slapped my mouth----I don't recall the incident, so whether it was the pain of that moment, coupled with shock and awe, or the frequent retellings, but to this day, saying shut up to anyone is abhorrant----even when those words are screaming to get out of my head, I resist-- it's like a line I can't cross---

but there was Rachel Ray, talking to Diane Sawyer about some new fangled cosmetic doodad (lipstick with a light). and she kept saying,"Shuuut UUUPP! Shut up! Shut UP!!
There , I said it, but now it means AWESOME!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Just-Me said...

Hey Nan..
Finally getting a chance to post!! I completely agree with the Rachel
Ray voice thing...drives me nuts as well..I don't like to watch cooking shows, just when I think that I've done something great..like making pork chops for supper..I see the fab meals they just whip up from the stuff they have "on hand" and I feel like crap..I never have any of that good stuff just sitting around the cupboards!!! aaarggg

October 20, 2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

It's funny how words lose and gain meanings... Everytime I say the word "Awesome" to my grandmother, she busts in rage and says, "Awesome USED to mean a bad thing, why did kids these days change it?!"

Guess we've discovered a new phenomena... maybe I could get credit for the term I will call it, "linguistic rebellion"...

haha, whatever... I am up too early!!!!

G.

October 21, 2006 10:10 AM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

I remember the slap across the face...it was so fast I couldn't believe it..I was in the front seat and you were behind us. I was also shocked and awed. But, I think I may have done the same thing to Mikki when she called me stupid one day. Blush! No matter how hard we try, we still turn out to be like our own mothers in some way.

October 24, 2006 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home