Thursday, October 19, 2006

Saving Graces


She's been doing the telvision talk show book promotion tour-- Today she was on The View, and I always take note of her words--- I think this will be a good read, as I can relate to so many of the things she has said about finding solace and strengt from the kindness of friends and strangers---Not only did she lose her teenage son, she was diagnosed with breast cancer while her husband was running with John Kerry in the last US presidential election. I admire her strength of spirit, her courage, and gentle wisdom--- I think it was Soledad O'Brian of CNN who asked her how you go on after the death of your child and she responded-"You have an obligation to their memory." So true, when I feel myself descending , it is the thought of Chris feeling responsible for my pain that pulls me back--BUT-- she said something today on the View that I just cannot agree with---"The gift of the death of a child is that everything is put in priority" or something like that--- I know what she meant, how it puts the small things in perspective,, but I can never think that losing a child is a gift--- no matter what lessons are learned---

3 Comments:

Blogger Tuffysmom said...

There is no gift of losing a child. Losing a child is unthinkable, unimaginable, and unliveable. I still don't know how you did it. And, I'm sorry Sue, but I hope I never find out..I love you so much..your pain is mine...Take care...and rejoice in your grandchildren. Love, Marsh

October 19, 2006 11:36 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Sounds like a super interesting read...It would be interesting to get your feedback after reading it and see if you felt or experienced things the same way as she talks about...

G.

October 20, 2006 12:43 AM  
Blogger Mandy said...

Sounds like it is going to be a good book , let me know what you think of it. I dont agree with loosing a child being a gift though - I can see how she would say that it would put things into perspective , but it would be too much pain , not a gift ...

October 21, 2006 8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home