Monday, October 16, 2006

Life Breaks



It was this post of Houseband's that got me thinking about "life breaks" and sabbaticals !

For all of my working years, there was the magic number, 85, to which we all dreamed of-- that was the year when your age and years of service totalled 85, retirement !!--- we sit in the staff room and discuss what number we were at, how many more years left to go, and who was next on the to go list---

I always envisioned years of blissful nothingness, house paid for, kids launched into sucessful self- sufficient careers, and Frank and I having some time to travel this country by train (I can't relax when he drives--we always fight!) or buy an old camper and just go roughing it in the wilds-----so many people reach that retirement age and one half of the couple or both have health issues, and time runs out ----

Well, it came-- that magical number--- house still not paid for, kids and animals multiplying, and more people are dependant on us than ever before----- but when I think of my druthers, I wouldn't change it for that empty nest syndrome or barter away a day of life with Mema or lexy or Austin, or etc.etc. etc. and we still have a fairly good RV for sale,,, only slightly used !!

8 Comments:

Blogger kicking-and-singing said...

Nannan, I really can't ever picture you and Uncle Frank with an empty nest..it would jus seem strange, I know you wouldn't trade Mema or Lexy or Aussie, but it's good to have some down time too.
Love you lots and lots.
Tammie

October 16, 2006 9:34 PM  
Blogger Fireguy said...

Funny how things work out sometimes, isn't it?

October 16, 2006 9:36 PM  
Blogger Blondie said...

Interesting...I just wrote a post about this from the perspective of the child. Two sides of the same coin, eh?

October 16, 2006 10:50 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

If 85 is the magic number that mean I have, hmmm... let me see, carry the 1, regroup... ummm... well, I guess I have a long ways to go yet!!

Enjoyed th post... Guess we never know how life is gonna treat us, at least the two of you are healthy... when is the train trip planned for? I am planning mine in 2008-09, my first sabbatical...

G.

October 16, 2006 11:56 PM  
Blogger H said...

Nan! then what will you blog abouuuuuut?

No way. please keep house and heart full. there's a long long way to go.

October 17, 2006 2:38 AM  
Blogger Lizza said...

What a gorgeous picture! I love the smile on the little one's face. Your cup runneth over, that's good!

October 17, 2006 1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nan,

It's the realities in our everyday lives that drive us to want to take these breaks, but at the same time, it's also in these realities that we find reasons to keep on living.

October 17, 2006 9:13 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

K&S: I think an empty nest would be a sad nest-- but a short reprieve wouldn't hurt sometimes!

Fireguy: We just never know--

Blondie: Enjoyed your post about the red hair, and learned a lot too.

NL: You are so smart to have built in a sabbatical--- will recharge your battery!! Not that it needs recharging,, you have energy to spare!!

Dear H--- You fill my heart!!

Lizza-- That's my Aussie!!

HB: He brings us joy, love, and laughter---and you're so right, a reason to keep on!!

October 18, 2006 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home