Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Cat's Cradle

When he died, he left no earthly possessions of value, monetarily that is----- no special rings, jewelry, watch, no car, property, or cash-- nothing tangible--except for a journal---- one that I haven't been able to open since the first voracious read, days after his death-- the mere sight and touch of the book -- brings on another "heart attack"--- but I've been thinking about it lately, and I know I will try picking it up again--- for inside the front cover, it is dedicated to his karass--- he names the people , his four brothers and sister - he calls them his karass--- and throughout his writings , he refers to that word, how he has become enamoured of it, how it has come to mean so much to him--- but he doesn't explain it-- he says, "look it up"-- as if even way back then, in 1999, he knew we would be reading it--- he didn't understand why he was writing , but he knew there was a purpose and it would be clear someday---- that day was April 26,2003---
So I've been thinking about the word karass, especially in relation to this "blog thing", and how much it feels like the karass he described------ and what a wonderful purpose it has served--- and I want to share some of his writings,,, soon----- when I am sure I can pick it up without getting "shocked"---
and the other thing-- his guitar--- accompanied him on his last journey----- oh, about karass, google it ,,, YOU are a part of it, and I am so grateful to every one of you in ways that you can't even imagine.


karass link

another one

Cat's Cradle





8 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

Karass , Its been a long time since I have heard that word .. Wow .. I would love it when you open up the journal again if you would share some of Chris's thoughts and writings .

October 18, 2006 8:35 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

DO you ever notice that your strength is gaining as YOUR karass is holding you up during your past 5 months of blogging??

It's interesting to think about this blog journey we are all on and also to imagine that you are now at the point where you have not only considered reading this journal of Chris' for yourself but also sharing it with us... Your journey since April 26, 2003 has been a long one I am sure, but look at the amazing discoveries and revelations that have come since that horrid day...

You are celebrating Chris in such a special way in this online world. It's a special thing to be a part of. Thanks, thanks thanks, for including all of us!

G.

October 18, 2006 8:51 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

And he is a terrific wampeter, as you pointed out to me----- Everyone has played a vital role, and I just discovered that Beth left a belated comment on the volcano post, which gave me a whole new perspective---on my yelling and anger at Chris--- wow,, it was love yelling at the beast inside, and the feelings of helplessness--- and I never forget how you found your way here--- even Mandy was a part of it before it existed!!! Amazing----

October 18, 2006 9:05 PM  
Blogger kicking-and-singing said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

October 18, 2006 10:12 PM  
Blogger kicking-and-singing said...

It just goes to show how deeply we are connected, even when we do not realize it...
Much Love,
Tammie

October 18, 2006 10:12 PM  
Blogger H said...

Darling Nan, Kurt Vonnegut I have discovered, over the years, is part of everybody's Karass who reads him. This keeps coming back to me, time and again.

And when I went to Chris' page several months ago, the first thing that struck me was that he too was Vonnegut believer.

This is the first time though that i am reading about the concept of Karass. And it is fillingly beautiful.

And Like G says [she's put it really perfectly] thank you for including all of us in this world of yours.

October 19, 2006 2:51 AM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

Hi Nan, just got caught up on all your blogs. The song is beautiful. It's so good to be back online! I should be getting back to my cleaning now, I'll write more later.
Nice blog...love you...Marsh

October 19, 2006 12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nan,

There really is something that led us to somehow, in our own little way, be supportive of one another.

Though it's nice to back it up with a concept, I feel all this support can only be attributed to human nature.

Thanks for your kind supportive words and for the connection far beyond the virtual.

=)

October 19, 2006 7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home