Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Bad Timing!!

On a shopping trip to Halifax, December 2002, Philip bought this book for Chris.
It's not an easy read, but there was information about a plant used by the Biwiti tribe in Gabon for initiation rites, under the careful control of a shaman--- For years, this tribe has known of the supernatural effects of the iboga root----- it is a psychotropic plant, which I don't profess to know much about--
But the plant has an amazing side effect--- it resets the opiate addicted brain, without going through withdrawal sickness, it is not a cure, but a window of opportunity, because in the resetting it takes away the craving and desire--- you can read about it if you're interested---
Chris was--
he communicated with the author Daniel Pinchbeck----in his search for help---- after calling every facility in this province-- no beds for opiate addicts in the whole province---
He contacted ibogatherapy house in Vancouver, and was accepted as a client for June 2003!
On May 28, 2003, an invitation arrived by email for Chris, from Pinchbeck--- asking him to participate in an all expence paid documentary being filmed at an ibogaine clinic in Mexico, with qualified doctors and aftercare-----the chance of a lifetime------One month too late!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Mandy said...

I remember Chris telling me about that and the excitement that he had when he talked about going into the program ... The I remember you telling me that he was accepted .. 1 month too late - why not earlier ?.. I am sure that I am not the only one that can not figure out the answer to that question ..

October 24, 2006 9:01 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

btw do you have a copy of the book ? If you do I would love to borrow it and read the book . I have only ever heard about it from you and Chris

October 24, 2006 9:03 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

Philip still has the book somewhere- I'll check with him--I read it, there was only one chapter about ibogaine, but I have read a lot about the plant--- YOu can order books online from chapters or amazon----

October 24, 2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

At the top of your blog, there is a search window for all blogs--- type in ibogaine and see all the posts--- it is not accepted by the addiction treatment establishment in this country---

October 24, 2006 10:04 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Interesting, I have never heard of this before... There is so many things that people know about in the world, that we have no clue about... too bad that connection couldn't have happened earlier....

G.

October 24, 2006 10:57 PM  
Blogger Funnyface said...

I remember you telling me about this...The heartache,knowing how badly he wanted this.
One month to late,how this changed so many lives.

October 25, 2006 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be strong, Nan. Be brave.

You're always in my prayers. =)

October 25, 2006 7:23 PM  
Blogger H said...

I think I saw this book on CHris' site.

Shall definitely read about it.

Perhaps Chris' participation in the film was not an important aspect of his own process.. which is why he didn't need it. Often i have found that people giving of themselves in processes that lead to films [documentaries particularly] feel like they've given more than received. But I could be completely wrong here.

I would say, Nan, I think Chris got from the book and the author what was important for him. Just yesterday I finished reading a set of three books over a period of six months. Life-altering books. and I've been toying with the idea of writing to the author because the books have made such an impression on me, my life the way I think and act... But I know deep inside, that I have already received what I had to from this process.

October 26, 2006 3:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I own this book if any of are interested.. I actually bought myself a copy shortly after Chris mentioned this to me.. I was so intriguied by his love for this book, that I had to get a copy for myself....not only is an amazing book, but Daniel Pinchbeck also talks of the Biwiti tribe and their rituals. This is also amazing from an anthropological standpoint.... -Christina

October 26, 2006 10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home