Saturday, September 02, 2006

On Gibran, Again

Was doing a little research on Gibran, and found he was a prolific painter, of Lebanese descent--- His painting of the archer reminded me of the painting Beth made, the one that started out as an archer and ended up being Chris!!!
Also found another source of his quotes;
And this one on war got me to thinking about all the lost lives in Iraq, viet Nam, Lebanon, anywhere where there is fighting---
"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being."
I wondered if I would agree with that sentiment if my son had been killed in Iraq, and thought of my father's brother, who was killed in the second world war--- when you boil it down to mothers and sons, does the name or cause of the war matter---a mother needs to know that his life had a purpose and his sacrifice not in vain----- so yes, i would cling tenaciously to that quotation, as if it were a life preserver.

"Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit."

8 Comments:

Blogger Fireguy said...

Hi - had never heard of Gibran, until now. That Limewire program has a free version - don't give up. Maybe you clicked a wrong button. Or even try a different site.
I love "Lyra".

September 02, 2006 6:12 PM  
Blogger Fireguy said...

P.S.
Download it from Limewire.com

Be aware they will try to get you to download the PRO version. The "Basic" version is free, but not quite as good.

September 02, 2006 6:22 PM  
Blogger kicking-and-singing said...

meaningful, very meaningful.
Take care and much love
Tammie

September 02, 2006 6:37 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

"Safeguarding the rights of others.."

I guess people who decide to participate in war, must take time to consider what the purpose and goals of their actions are... If there is no other way to achieve the goal and all other options have been tried and failed, then action might be necessary to safeguard rights of those who are oppressed.

It must be difficult though... And maybe as things in Afghan. seem to sound kind of "out of control" at times, it must be hard for soldiers to balance fear with the decision to use action.

Thought provoking entry...
Thanks for the ideas for my painting. I will take a picture when it is finished... that is my big project for the weekend...
G.

September 02, 2006 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sue-
This not really a response to today's blog- just a note to tell you that I agree that there is nothing like being grandparents. We had Keaton for a "sleep over" :)I like following Lexy's progress as I can see what is to come next.
Look forward to seeing you out in the schools - we can compare "subbing notes".:)
We are away until the 9th, - so will have all kinds of reading when I come back.
Do take care.

CDR

September 02, 2006 10:53 PM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

Having a son in the Military makes me think about that all the time. Every time I hear they are sending more troops over I freak out. If my son were killed in a 'senseless' war, I'm afraid I would be very angry. But I don't know how I'd feel if he was over there a 'peacekeeper', trying to help. In any case, my heart would be totally broken and I have no idea what I would cling to.
I don't like to think about this, sorry!

September 03, 2006 12:37 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being."

Say no more. Love it!

September 03, 2006 8:34 PM  
Blogger Mandy said...

That is a gorgeous painting .The simularities in both of the paintings are amazing - WOW .

September 04, 2006 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home