Sunday, September 10, 2006

Dusting Off .......


the cobwebs in my head---- no rhyme or reason-- just need to swifferize my brain before the space launch tomorrow--- to the planet Primary--- !!
On Steve Irwin-- loved the comment on his memorial page that went something like - he lived his life in capital letters and exclamation marks !!! How apt and befitting a tribute----
On Steve Irwin--- shame on you Germaine Greer, you opportunistic feminist hussy--- why now??? this is not the time to spout your venomous views against his practices, when he can't defend himself and his family is in grief-- just wanted to get your face in the media on the tailspin of his death--- shameface!!!
On 9/11 and numbers----- heard a guy say,"it never leaves you"---- Ann Coulter, you obviously have never experienced a personal tragic loss in your life-- don't you think those widows would return the money, turn away from "fame" in order to have their husbands back in their lives?? Most of the great causes in this world originated from someone' s pain, grief, or mistake--- MADD, Amber Alert, Megan's Law, and what motivates Katie Couric to push so hard for colon cancer research----they're not basking in the lime light, they're trying to find answers ------ and numbers--- my 9/11 is 26---- It seems to appear everywhere when I least expect it, and my mind goes back to that day, that day which became the measure of time in my life--- BC and AC---Before Chris, I was working on a quilt, the very weekend he died-- it sits in a bag, daring me to finish it, but to pick it up again would be to acknowledge that life goes on as usual, business as normal, and I feel that to finish that quilt would be a great dishonour--- how can I just pick up where I left off, when everything is changed--- it's only a quilt !!!! it's only the number 26---- the numerals on our house--- but as the gentleman said, "It never leaves you."

6 Comments:

Blogger Gillian said...

Neat that you brought up the topic of numbers... Inuit children all choose a fave number and usually they write it with their name (for example, on the line where it says name they would write: Shirley Annanack #89)

When I got up here they asked me what my fave number was, and I quickly answered 8. they asked me why and when I thought about it, it was kind of a neat reason that stuck with me, but one that I hadn't discussed with anyone before that point.

My fav number was one that I had in grade 7 or 8 on my volleyball team uniform at Yarmouth Junior High, #8. I decided it was my favourite because that year I had to share the jersey with Chris, my crush. See for those of you who don't know YJHS couldn't afford different jerseys for girls and boys teams (actually I think they were even soccer uniforms too) I was so excited that Chris also had the same shirt and since then I kept that number as my fave...

This story popped in my head while reading your entry! LOL! I guess at the time I didn't care how totally gross it was that I was wearing a shirt that someone else was sweating in, but you know how cheesy teenaged girls are... hahaha

G.

PS Have a blast tomorrow, I am sure you'll be awesome!

September 10, 2006 7:33 PM  
Blogger Gillian said...

Anxious to hear how the day went!!!
Primary! Brave woman!!!

G.

September 11, 2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

I guess you need to ask what it actually is, a quilt, a moment, a badge, a memory, a weight, or something you're not ready for. When I came home, I was listening to this cd by Brian Borcherdt that Roger N had given me. It was written for one of his late friends. One of the songs really got me and I lost it sitting on my computer room floor while I was cleaning. Alex was there and he was just watched me, quitely, without a sound (hence quitely), but it looked like he knew to leave me alone for a little bit. It took me awhile to listen to that cd again. But then probably 2 years later, I saw the cd, listened to it, felt loss again, but it wasn't as bad. I appreciated the music for what it was, what it represented, and succumbed to the events leading to 26. It will never leave me, and it is now one of the things that makes me who I am. Chris' life and death enriched me and taught me so much about so many things. Mainly: Embrace and Celebrate.

September 11, 2006 9:53 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

Thanks for sharing that Mike, we never really talked about Chris's life / death, impact, effects--- Sometimes, when I speak of the good days, I say often say MikeandChris as if it was all one word, your younger lives were so intertwined, and he looked up to you so much, of that I am sure-- Much love to you son number one---
I ache for you both, and your babes-----

September 11, 2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

My 9/11 is the number 23..although Max was not my son...I had known him since he was 17...and grew to love him as a son. I heard the remarks made by Ann Coulter - disgusting. And each day that more soldiers die in a losing war, are more 9/11's for more families. God Forbid anything should happen to a loved one of Ann Coulter, should she have any that is.

September 12, 2006 6:04 AM  
Blogger JR's Thumbprints said...

Indeed, numbers have different meanings. For me, "26" was the turning point. Interesting post, Nan. And very timely!

September 12, 2006 6:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home