Saturday, August 26, 2006

Family ties

Just returned from another bout of gluttony at a wedding in Brooklyn, Frank's family's haunting ground--- and it reminds me of one of the many things that attracted me to him--- He calls her his cousin, Shannon, but on closer inspection, by me, the technocrat, she's actually the daughter of his cousin-- but he calls them all cousins or aunts and uncles!! As long as their great great grandparents were related, and they lived on the Hardscratch, they're all family!!! It used to drive me crazy as I had to know the correct relationship, and it just never mattered to him-- now I understand-- - No matter where in the world they were, every year they crowded into a car(no seat belt rule then) and returned to Yarmouth every summer to spend time with grandmother, aunts, uncles, and all the greats--- His mom had all her babies here, even though his dad was in the military-- it was a homing instinct--- Whereas, we, also military brats, never really felt that sense of extended family belonging, and shamefully, my children really don't know their cousins as kin-------- The picture is Frank's Aunt Nonie (real aunt), his mother's sister, who by the way, comes here EVERY evening to spend time with her sister, Mema---They greet each other with a hug, as if they'd been apart for years, and an "I love you", not token, but heartfelt!! When she leaves, a repeat performance. In betweeen the nightly visits, are the daily phone calls!! I was reminded today of family bonds, a quiet country simple wedding, put together by aunts and inlaws, no big show of expense, but lots of laughter, love and tears of joy!!
And when I read Mike's posts, he reminds me of myself, and maybe part of what attracted him to Rebecca was her innate sense of family closeness--- Although I miss him , I am grateful that he has also become a part of a very loving clan!!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Gillian said...

That's so nice to hear about the closeness of the family. AND I love the thought that there is an openess to give that hug and say I love you everytime... maybe as we get older we have that sense that the last time to bid farewell is so much closer or something, but I always feel that same way...

Neither my dads or moms sides were very close. With mom's side it's because all of our cousins, aunts and uncles lived either in Labrador, Newfoundland (or one of her brothers families in Toronto area). When we moved to Yarmouth in 1986, we were close to dad's family, but tended to only really see everyone on Boxing Day. If we saw each other in town, we would make a point of stopping to talk but would not really see each other much. Since getting older, I find we tend to make more effort of keeping up, we always visit my uncle and aunt when they go to their cottage at Braemar in the summer, I keep in contact with some cousins via email... Maybe age makes us value those who are a part of us.

It's so nice to hear about the closeness that Frank's family have!! I can see why you would have wanted to be a part of that. I think that will probably be something I look for in a guy too!

August 26, 2006 9:07 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

It's funny how the soul recognizes its fulfillment before the rational mind has figured it out--

August 26, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Fireguy said...

I have always sensed that bond in Frank's family - it's a great thing indeed.

August 26, 2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger kicking-and-singing said...

Nannan-yup that is my family for you, so glad you became a part of it*S*...
I can't go through Brookly without hitting family as it was not only Mom's family through out the hardscratch road but it was Da's family too and since Aunt D(Mom's sister) is married to Uncle B(Dad's brother)..well the family didn't realy get any bigger there but the closeness is stronger...
I love my family dearly, and even through the miles I now that they are there for me no matter nwhat.
Love you Lots,
Tammie

August 27, 2006 12:19 PM  
Blogger Tuffysmom said...

We have cousins living in Yarmouth, and sad to say, I wouldn't recognize them if I saw them on the street. I only really lived in Yarmouth for a year before I got married and left. It's sort of the same for Jim here in Pictou...he has so much family here...but the thing is...they don't seem to like each all that much. I can't say I miss that feeling of closeness to a large family because I never had it. Sigh.

August 28, 2006 9:37 AM  
Blogger Funnyface said...

Yes my family are close,and for that I'm very thankful.We think nothing of giving each other a kiss,and hug or saying we love you,even in a busy store.
Some people may find this very strange, but when you love someone you let them know.Because you never know what the next moment may bring.And when I go, there will never be any doubt,in my families mind just how much I care.

Love Cheryl

August 28, 2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger Lizza said...

What a lovely post.

"I was reminded today of family bonds, a quiet country simple wedding, put together by aunts and inlaws, no big show of expense, but lots of laughter, love and tears of joy!!"

I definitely agree!

August 30, 2006 12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home