Saturday, July 15, 2006

Pumpkin Pie and Oscar ???

This innocent scrumptious looking pumpkin pie is actually the trigger for an ongoing battle--- I cannot make pastry !!! That' s a fact !!! No debate- I know the taste of good pastry----Mom made the best--- I've tried every trick in the book-- - yes, I've used ice water, I've tried not handling the dough, I've added more water, more flour, more shortening, NOTHING WORKS !! It's just one of those things you either have the touch for OR you don't ---I DON"T !! Okay at times, i have resorted to the egg- vinegar recipe, but we all know that's piecrust for dummies---- I can handle it-- there are some things I CAN and DO bake well, Pastry is NOT one of them----- So when Frank tells me that the piecrust is really good--- I know better!!! I have taste buds !!! Don't humour me !! I cannot make pastry-- can't we just leave it at that???


So what inspired this tirade--- Connie remarked in one of her comments that I wasn't grouchy !!!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sue:
I have to say that I "cheat" like Teahound and buy TF Pie crust sometimes. But I know what you mean about making pie crust from scratch.
Am in Halifax spending the weekend with my sister... wonderful.. her visit with the Oncologist is Monday. I will babysit her granddaughter while the family go with her.
Today Bethany and I went shopping for supplies to bake and decorate cupcakes Monday to keep us occupied. Before I left the store I spent $20 for the items!They will be the most expensive cupcakes in town!
Do you really want to part with the camper? Once you got on your way - you would have a grand time like you did last summer.
The weather has been so rotten that it has been hard to think of getting out of the house...
Enjoy!

CDR

July 15, 2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

"visit with the Oncologist"--dreaded words--- my prayers are with you--- Thank God she has you, whatever way it goes- thinking of you--

July 16, 2006 10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frank said;
Sis, I thought you would have picked up on Sues rant. I did, right away because I am the one who is always at the receiving end of my compliments to my Hun about her Baking. You watch and see . If I take this oppurnity to say what I think of her Pie crust, she can't handle it and the grouch pops up and lets me know in no uncertain terms what she thinks of my compliment.
" Come on you know I can't make Pie Crust,can't now, never could,won't ever be ale to.
But this can't change the fact that I think she has to be the best cook,baker,etc. ever.
There let her rant on that.
You have sampled some of her goodies.

Frank

July 16, 2006 4:56 PM  
Blogger NanNan said...

Okay everyone-- it was never about pie crust-- it was about me owning my grouchiness--which even Frank knows can't be disputed!!!! love ya all-- oscar and proud of it-- and you don't have to be cheerful all the time to be my friend--- another rant, another time--

July 16, 2006 6:07 PM  
Blogger Mike said...

Jeez... What a grouch!!!

July 18, 2006 3:22 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Ha! Just read evey post up on the front page of your blog. The egg and vinegar pie crust is the only one I can't get to work for me.

I don't thinkg good pie crust is necessarily about the recipe -- I think it is about the texture of the dough. My hands "know" when it's right.

July 22, 2006 2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home